Makhadzi, the Limpopo-born singer, has revealed the financial challenges she faced in order to attend the 19th annual BET Hip-Hop Awards ceremony in Los Angeles, California.

Makhadzi, the Limpopo-born singer, has revealed the financial challenges she faced in order to attend the 19th annual BET Hip-Hop Awards ceremony in Los Angeles, California.


Despite her recent success, winning the Viewer’s Choice: Best New International Act award and defeating fellow South African Tyler ICU and other global artists, Makhadzi openly shared that she had to borrow money to cover the travel expenses for the event.

In a candid interview on the Podcast and Chill, Makhadzi spoke about her financial situation, acknowledging that she is “going through a lot” and that her tax obligations have been a significant burden. According to a previous report by Sunday World, the singer allegedly owed the South African Revenue Service (SARS) a substantial amount of R6.6 million, which was later reduced to R2.7 million with the help of a tax consultant.


Makhadzi’s openness about her financial struggles underscores the challenges faced by many artists, even those who have achieved significant success. In her own words, she stated that “every money I get monthly I’m paying SARS so I end up not having money for myself,” leading her to resort to borrowing from “mashonisa” (loan sharks) to ensure she could attend the prestigious BET Awards ceremony in style, as she believes in her career and wants to present herself as a “superstar.”

“I’m going through a lot. It’s not a secret.Every money I get monthly I’m paying SARS so I end up not having money for myself,” she said.

“So for me to travel I have to go to mashonisa (loan sharks). They [my team] have to borrow money for me so I can fly business class because I have to be the superstar that I am. Because I believe in myself and my career I’m like, let me do everything and go there,” she said

This revealing glimpse into Makhadzi’s financial situation serves as a reminder that even celebrated artists can face significant financial burdens, highlighting the need for greater support and resources to help emerging and established artists navigate the complexities of the industry and maintain their artistic and personal well-being

Post a Comment

0 Comments